Australia’s got some pretty rad stuff - y’know, koalas, kangaroos, and The Death Set. Let’s just mix in some punk, hip hop, and a whole bunch o’ dancing and throw it all together down under and you’ve got a whole lot of awesome waiting to happen.
The band is up for Artist of the Week on MTV Iggy, so head on over to MTVIggy.com to get your vote in. The deadline is 11:59pm EST tonight!
Check The Death Set’s video for “We Are Going Anywhere Man” below:
The Death Set are about to head out on tour. Want to see them live? We have an awesome way for you guys to do that, plus win A TON OF STUFF for you and your friends from The Death Set & Vans. Show us your best, “Slap, Slap, Slap, Pound, Up, Down, Slap” Handshake.
To enter, make a quick video of you & one friend doing the “Slap, Slap, Slap, Pound, Up, Down, Slap” Handshake. Upload your video to youtube. Email your video link to firstname.lastname@example.org - subject line The Death Set x Vans Contest. Make sure that your video is no longer than 60 seconds. US & Canada residents only.
The Death Set will pick 3 videos as winners. That means you & a friend have 3 chances to win all of this stuff!- 2 VANS Tees, 2 hoodies & 2 pairs of shoes - 2 custom etched Death Set skate decks- 2 TDS new album Michel Poiccard- A pair of tickets to the show of your choice (must be 21+ to attend)
The contest is open for submissions beginning on Monday, April 11, 2011 at 9am Pacific time. Entries will be accepted until Friday, April 29, 2011 at 11.59pm Pacific time. The winners will be contacted by email on Saturday, April 30 & Sunday May 1. Winners will need to respond to us by Tuesday May 3rd to claim your prizes. The winning videos will be posted on The Vans Music Blog!
Tour Dates with Win Win:
05/02- Great Scott Allston, MA, US
05/03- Il Motore Montreal, QC, Canada
05/04- The Steelworkers’ Hall Toronto, ON, Canada
05/05- Soundlab Buffalo, NY, US
05/06- Grog Shop Cleveland Heights, OH, US
05/07- The Strutt Kalamazoo, MI, US
05/09- 7th Street Entry Minneapolis, MN, US
05/12- Chop Suey Seattle, WA, US
05/13- The Media Club Vancouver, BC, Canada
05/14- Branx Portland, OR, US
05/16- Rickshaw Stop San Francisco, CA, US
05/17- Bootleg Theater Los Angeles, CA, US
05/18- The Trunk Space Phoenix, AZ, US
05/20- Red 7 Austin, TX, US
05/21- Club Dada Dallas, TX, US
05/22- Fitzgerald’s Houston, TX, US
05/23- Spanish Moon Baton Rouge, LA, US
05/24- 529 Atlanta, GA, US
05/24- Local 506 Chapel Hill, NC, US
05/26- The Red Palace Washington, DC, US
05/28- The Windup Space Baltimore, MD, US
05/29- The Barbary Philadelphia, PA, US
We’re bringing you some photos from the Death Set’s release party 2 nights ago in Brooklyn, NY. Looks like everyone had a blast!
The Death Set will be having their record release party for their new album Michel Poiccard at the Music Hall of Williamsburg this Saturday 3/26! The line up features:
The Death Set
10 lucky fans attending the show will win Vans/The Death Set/Mishka prize packs, including tees, shoes, and a copy of the new album.
One extra-lucky winner will also take home a custom etched limited edition The Death Set skate deck.
All fans in attendance (while supplies last) can snag this limited edition 18x22 show poster by artist Nick Egan.
Tickets are $10. Ages 16+ can go!
See you there!
The Death Set debuted their latest music video for “Slap Slap Slap Pound Up Down Snap” earlier this week. Answer me this: Who doesn’t like a double-headed tiger setting stuff on fire while driving a moving truck?
The track is the first single from Michel Poiccard. It’s available for download now while the rest of the album can be pre-ordered. Just check out the video and the song because they are both awesome. You can also get brought up to speed with the prequel instructional video from last week.
Handshake pioneers The Death Set, Ninjasonik and Cerebral Ballzy are here to show you the latest in the handshake world: the Slap Slap Slap Pound Up Down Snap. It sounds complex (because it is) but fear not! SHAKE IT UP has made an easy to follow, step by step instructional video featuring the guys. Thanks to SHAKE IT UP, you and your friends can be up on the latest handshaking trends.
The Death Set and Spank Rock just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas by taking their own spin on oh-so-famous Bing Crosby and David Bowie’s “Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth.” Unless you want eggnog pouring out of your nose from laughter, may I suggest setting it aside before watching this:
We love The mothereffing Death Set. Not just because they are amazing, but they are always giving us (and you) free music!
The Death Set has teamed up with Мишка to release Artificially Sweetened. This mix has an astounding 43 tracks- all for free. There’s going to be something for everyone on this one. If not, you must not listen to any music…so shame on you.
Check out the low-down on this album:
This mix is so much more than raps and rocks getting jumbled around. There’s a good melange of everything that would possibly get people pumped. There’s some salsa, the Zombies, The Jackson 5, some Fugazi, Angry Samoans, The Misfits, Descendents, Waka Flocka, Black Sheep, Cee Lo – you know what, it’s mostly just punk and rap. But there’s a ton of great mixing in this thing.
Sounds like a party, right?! Get it today! We can verify this is a trusted download link.
The full track list is below.
Мишка Presents The Death Set – Artificially Sweetened
1. Mario Shows Pee Wee Some New Items In the Magic Shop vs. MFDS (Pee Wee Herman vs. The Death Set)
2. Brooklyn to Baltimore (Scottie B vs. Notorious B.I.G.)
3. I Want You Back (Jackson 5 and a Sprinkle of S & P)
4. 52 Girls vs. Shimmy Shimmy Ya (B52′s vs. O.D.B.)
5. Born Free (Ninjasonik vs. M.I.A. vs. Suicide)
6. Aussie Bogan Chick on Train (Some Dumb Skank)
7. Deformative vs. Circumstances (Black Eyes vs. Buju Banton)
8. I-10 vs. Terrorist (Japanther vs. DJ Vadim)
9. Ballzy Anthem Summertime (Crystal Fighters and a Spinkle of Cerebral Ballzy)
10. Chew It Like a Gun Gum [Mixtape Teaser Edit] vs. 1800 Suicide (The Death Set vs. Gravediggaz)
11. Perversion For Profit (George Putnam)
12. My Shadow vs. Pass the Mic (Jay Reatard vs. The Beastie Boys)
13. Hybrid Moments (The Misfits)
14. Suburban Home (The Descendents)
15. The Choice is Yours (Black Sheep)
16. Be Faithful (Crooklyn Clan)
17. Diamond Sea vs. Be Faithful vs. Hunter S. Thompson Lecture on Herpes & Disco (Sonic Youth vs. Crooklyn Clan vs. Hunter S. Thompson)
18. Pico Pico (Los Pico Pico)
19. Baltimore Collage (Ponytail, Double Dagger, Ecstatic Sunshine, Dan Deacon, Video Hippos, Spankrock, MFDS)
20. They Come to Get Us (The Death Set & XXXChange)
21. Earth Fwend Fire vs. O Lets Do It (Best Fwends vs. Waka Flocka Flame)
22. Mind Ya Buisiness (Rod Lee)
23. Black Metal vs. Lights Out (Ascii Disko vs. Angry Samoans)
24. Kittens Inspired by Canonball, Black Metal, Should I Stay or Should I Go, Get to the Point (The Breeders vs. Ascii Disko vs. The Clash vs. Sizzla)
25. Shot a Fire (Shabba Ranks)
26. Loving You Sometimes (The Outkasts)
27. Time of the Season (The Zombies)
28. Windowlicker (Aphex Twin)
29. Mashed Potato Time vs. He Hit Me vs. In the Clear (Dee Dee King vs. The Crystals vs. Cap’n Jazz)
30. Deep Cover (Hollywood Holt)
31. Subliminal (Suicidal Tendencies)
32. Public Witness (Fugazi)
33. Hypnotize vs. Brown Paper Bag vs. Blitzkrieg Bop (Notorious B.I.G. vs. Roni Size vs. The Ramones)
34. Grinding Halt (The Death Set Covering the Cure)
35. Ya Fat Bugger! (Wigan Fatty Fuck)
36. Chick Habit (April March vs. Zap! Pow! Die!)
37. Fair Weathered Friends (Daedelus)
38. Fair Weathered Friends (Daedelus, The Death Set Wonk Remix)
39. Hello Miss (Cee Lo, XXXChange Remix)
40. At the Movies (Bad Brains)
41. Zombie (The Death Set, Baby Giraffes Remix)
42. Michel Poiccard Prefers the Old (Breathless)
43. Gut Feeling vs. It’s Just a Ride (Devo vs. Bill Hicks)
The Death Set played Jelly NYC’s Pool Parties at East River Park last Sunday July 25th in Brooklyn. Dan, Johnny, and Jahphet aka Roofeeo, of course, were batsh*t crazy. Our friend Colin Devin Moore shot a bunch of photos of their set. Then, he ran them down for the most uninformative interview in the history of man.
At some point shortly after this interview the crowd went over to Brooklyn Bowl where Johnny threw a bowling ball at Japhet.
So what the hell is going on with them? Here’s a state of The Death Set email Johnny Sierra sent out this week:
"The big news is that we have finished our new album! Its called "Michel Poiccard". Some may recognize that name as the bad ass lead character from the French New Wave movie “Breathless”. Dedicated to the rough and tumble dude he is. The record was mixed and executively produced by XXXChange, producer for Spankrock, The Kills and remixer of a gazillion from Thom Yorke to Kylie Minogue. We are super psyched on it! Includes a collaboration with Diplo on a track and Spankrock on another. Expect a mixtape in October, singles with videos from November and the record to drop in January. Coming out on Counter records. The rock sibling of Ninja Tune.”
The Death Set will be playing The Mad Decent Block Party tomorrow in Philly with buds, Ninjasonik. Shortly after, they’re getting all fancy & going to France to break a bunch of really old, historical stuff after drinking a lot of beer. The France tour dates are listed on The Death Set’s site so have yourself a look.
We are excited to have the official music video for The Death Set’s “Far Weathered Friends,” a reworking of Daedelus’ “Fair Weathered Friends.” The video is directed by LAZLO, illustrated by J. Penry and animated by Wealthy Pictures.
On top of the video, we can (luckily) be expecting more stuff from The Death Set this year- including a documentary, a mix tape of the band’s favorite tracks and unreleased material….and all before a new fall album. Score.
After the unexpected death of founding member Beau Velasco in late ‘09, I applaud the band for their choice to continue their writing, touring and general badassery. No doubt that 2010 will wrap up to be a solid year, so here’s to many more awesome musical endeavors by TDS!
As details unfold about the year’s planned releases, you know where to look.
Check out who we caught up with when we did our massive gifting at SXSW:
Ninjasonik, Tumbledown, Hey Monday, The Cab, Zlam Dunk, Riverboat Gamblers, Rise Against, The Death Set, Shawn Fisher, Hill Valley, Conditions, Title Fight, Every Avenue and of course, Oliver Peck.